Child’s Grievance

Grievances can be filed by, or on behalf of, minors in the custody of DHS.

Who may file a grievance:

Any minor in DHS custody and any youth in the voluntary care of DHS may file a grievance. Grievances may
also be filed by anyone interested in their welfare, for example parents, staff, resource parents or court-appointed
special advocate.

What complaints are considered:

Complaints may be about any policy, rule, decision, behavior, action or condition made or permitted by DHS,
its employees or other persons authorized to provide care.

How to file a grievance:

To file a grievance, obtain the Grievance form from the local grievance coordinator, your child welfare
specialist, or any staff member. Complete the form and include what you want to solve the problem. Return the form
to the local grievance coordinator. You have only 15 business days from the date of the problem to file the grievance.
At the time of placement, the child’s child welfare specialist will explain the grievance procedure to you and
your foster child. You or your foster child will be asked to sign the Notice of Grievance Rights – Minors in DHS
Custody form verifying that this procedure has been explained to you. The form gives you the name and telephone
number of the local grievance coordinator if you want more information.

Continue to Resource Parent’s Grievance