Frequently Asked Questions

How long can the adoption assistance continue?
To age 18 or to age 19 if the child continues to reside in the home of the adoptive parents and has a documented serious mental or physical disability or continues to attend high school.
Must the child remain in Oklahoma to receive adoption assistance?
No, adoption assistance agreements remain in effect even if a family moves out of Oklahoma. Oklahoma continues to make monthly payments, if applicable, and IV-E children can receive Medicaid regardless of where the family resides. State-funded children may be eligible to receive Medicaid in the state where they reside. The scope of the Medicaid coverage may vary from state to state. DHS staff assists adoptive families with securing Medicaid benefits in other state’s of residence and helps assure that proper paperwork is submitted timely.
If a child receives benefits such as SSA, VA, or other beneficiary payments, can the family receive those after adoption?
After the adoption is finalized, the parents may apply to receive those benefits. These benefits should be considered when the amount of the adoption assistance is negotiated with the family. If a child receives Supplemental Security Income prior to adoption, the child may not be eligible for this benefit after adoption or may be eligible for a different amount. Adoptive families should contact the Social Security Administration for benefit information.
If the adoptive parents add the child to their health and medical insurance, is Medicaid of benefit?
Yes, however, the insurance must be claimed first. Medicaid will pay only if a Medicaid eligible child is using a Medicaid vendor and then only if the insurance amount is less than the amount Medicaid would pay, or if a service is Medicaid compensable but not compensable on the family insurance. Currently, under Oklahoma’s Medicaid program, when a Medicaid child uses a Medicaid vendor and the insurance company pays, the family does not owe the balance, as the Medicaid vendor has agreed to accept the insurance payment as payment in full. This may not be the case in other states, and the family would then owe the difference between the total fee and the amount the insurance pays if they are using a non-Medicaid vendor.
Is adoption assistance reviewed?
Yes, annually. DHS must determine that the need still exists, and that the adoptive parents continue to have legal and financial responsibility for the child.
Can the amount of the subsidy ever be changed?
Yes, the parents and DHS can renegotiate the adoption assistance amount anytime there is a change in the child’s needs. The amount cannot increase, of course, if the child was already receiving the maximum.
What if I do not agree with DHS decision regarding my application for adoption assistance or subsequent requests?
You have a right to an administrative fair hearing if your application is denied, not acted on with reasonable promptness, approved in an amount less than requested, modified without your concurrence, or terminated.
Is there an instance in which an adoptive family may apply for adoption assistance after an adoption is finalized?
Yes, both federal and state-funded programs have provisions for adoption assistance after finalization if certain circumstances exist and eligibility criteria are met. Inquiries should be directed to the Adoption Assistance Section of Children and Family Services Division.

For general information about Adoption Assistance:
Call 405-521-2475 Visit:
Write : Oklahoma Department of Human Services Adoption Assistance Program,
PO Box 25352, Oklahoma City, OK 73125

Continue to Resource Family Information Chart