Financial Responsibility

Resource parents are not responsible for the cost of prescribed medical care for a child placed in their home. Medical expenses within the scope of SoonerCare are paid by the Oklahoma Health Care Authority. Not all medical services are covered, so those services must be discussed with the child’s Child Welfare Specialist before the services are provided.

Resource parents are expected to pay for any medication or supplies available without a prescription and all personal hygiene items from the foster care reimbursement.

The term Health Care Provider refers to doctors, pharmacists, hospitals, or any persons who have contracted with Oklahoma Health Care Authority to provide medical services under SoonerCare.

You will receive a non-disposable, permanent, plastic medical identification card for most children in your home. This card is to go with the child through changes in placement. The card gives the child’s name and the medical ID number. The card should be shown to the health care provider at the time of service to give information used for billing. When a child leaves your home, the card should be given to the child’s child welfare specialist. If you receive a card after a child has left your home, please return it to the child’s child welfare specialist immediately. Advise the child welfare specialist if you do not receive a medical card for a child in your home. The medical card will indicate a limit of three prescriptions per month for the child; however, children in out-of-home care are eligible for an unlimited number of prescriptions. Have the pharmacist (or other provider) contact the child’s child welfare specialist if questions arise regarding the procedure for filing claims.

Some children in out-of-home care will not receive a medical card even though they are eligible for medical coverage by DHS. When that occurs, advise the medical vendor the child is in DHS custody, and if you or the vendor has any questions regarding a child’s eligibility for medical care, contact the child’s child welfare specialist or the child welfare supervisor.

Again, never sign a medical form as the responsible party. That way, you will not be held responsible for payment. Occasionally a vendor will bill a resource parent for services for a child placed in their home. You are not responsible for payment of the charges and should contact the child’s child welfare specialist if you receive a medical bill. Occasionally a situation may arise when you are required by the vendor to pay for medical services or prescriptions at the time of service. DHS will reimburse you for these expenses if it was the only way, during an emergency, to obtain the needed services. It is important, however, that you try to use only vendors who are willing to bill SoonerCare.

Continue to Transportation