If you or the school thinks the child placed in your home may have a disability and may need special education and related services, school officials must evaluate the child before providing these services. This evaluation is available at no cost and will help determine if the child placed with you has a disability, and if so, what type of special help the child might need. Written permission must be given for the evaluation, which will most likely be done by the birth parents or the child’s child welfare specialist. Based on the results of the evaluation, the school professionals and the birth parents will determine the eligibility of special education and related services in regards to the child placed in your home.

Continue to Individualized Education Program